Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Is It Just Me, Or Is It A Slow News Day?

Shocking shocking shocking. Today I just didn't know what to talk about. Here is where each and every blogger starts reeling off their excuses for such pitiless behaviour, but I swear I have some pretty good ones:

1. My PhD progess report is next week and I need to start my presentation
2. My boyfriend has injured himself at work so the entire cooking and cleaning load has fallen on my shoulders
3. I have a second job AND a gym membership
4. I have been asked to collaborate on a second project in tandem with my own so I need to learn everything about it before one of the Professors corners me and asks me something about it
5. I need to start reading papers to see where to bring my project from here since I am coming to the end of my current experiments

Put all that together and you get a big fat ARGH why am I tired all the freaking time??!!

So I decided to take a gander at cnn.com to see if there was anything of interest to grab my attention that I might waffle about. It seems as though CNN is having the same problems that I am today.

I open the US page, and this is the headline story: a 61-year old grandfather becomes the oldest man to ever score in a college football game. Aww, that's sweet, but really? The leading story? OK, let's head over to the Europe page:

Hugh Grant blasts British media over the phone hacking scandal. Little late to the party there aren't we Hugh? Got caught up in the backseat of a limo again? Seriously though, who gives a shit what Hugh Grant thinks about something, especially something that pretty much everyone agrees was "cowardly and shocking". Really not much of a debate to be weighing in on. Fine then, lets travel to Asia:

2 people are killed in a football stampede in Indonesia. Slightly more of a story, but hardly headline worthy. It might make the front page in an Indonesian paper, but of ALL OF THE THINGS happening in Asia this is the best most interesting thing you got? Ok fine. How about Latin America?

Chevron was fined $28M for an oil spill off the coast of Brazil. AAhh finally we're getting somewhere. This I am happy to hear. Sure it's chump change to Chevron, but let's hope they take it further and that finally some company has some accountability for their actions. Much better CNN.

Anyway, looks like we all need a little snooze today. I hope to get mine in between boxing and reading my predecessor's PhD thesis. What joy :)


And as for a lab update, the Professor was reminded of his promise of cake and champagne last Friday, after which he immediately agreed that it was a gross lapse on his part and that they will both ensure shortly. Still no cake and champagne though. We'll see what happens with this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment